Historydraft LogoHistorydraft Logo HistorydraftbetaHistorydraft Logo Historydraftbeta

Elizabeth Blackwell

Marie Zakrzewska, along with Blackwell and her sister Emily expanded Blackwell's original dispensary into the New York Infirmary for Indigent Women and Children

1857
New York City, New York, U.S.

In 1857, Dr. Marie Zakrzewska, along with Blackwell and her sister Emily, who had also obtained a medical degree, expanded Blackwell's original dispensary into the New York Infirmary for Indigent Women and Children. Women served on the board of trustees, on the executive committee and as attending physicians. The institution accepted both in- and outpatients and served as a nurse's training facility. The patient load doubled in the second year.


<